Lawpath is Australia’s largest online legal platform for businesses and individuals. When I first joined, Lawpath did not have a dedicated designer or a strong brand guideline. This has caused several issues in both platform and website designs. This case study highlights my design process for rebuilding Lawpath branding and reskinning the website.
I was a part of the product team and responsible for the experience, strategy and design of both Lawpath platform and website. I was to lead the UX and produce UI elements. I worked alongside CTO, Tech lead, CMO and CEO(the product owner).
Lawpath site navigation was challenging to understand. The navigation used vague headings such as ‘Service’ and ‘Directory’. I had to spend some time to read a few pages to understand what they were offering. If I were a user trying to get quotes from lawyers (one of the services Lawpath provides), I would not know that I had to click ‘Directory’ to access such service.
Although Lawpath was a start-up, over three years of successful growth, Lawpath’s website already had a good SEO set up with Google. Since this SEO came directly from existing navigation, Lawpath’s CMO asked to maintain the current navigational structure as much as possible for SEO purposes. I considered the navigation menu as another area of improvement; this presented some challenges.
Balance of primary colours or brand voice varied from pages, and it was easy to see inconsistency across the entire website. Images and graphics had low resolution and colours were dull and grey even though Lawpath’s primary colour was blue. There was little to none interactivity, and it was not very interesting to browse the site. Overall, Lawpath site looked outdated and old.
Although Lawpath was using a sensible Sans Serif font, it was still without proper text hierarchy. Sometimes headers used title case and occasionally headers would use all caps. Body paragraph had bold text here and there making the site look messy with inconsistent text styling.
The biggest problem I had noticed was that even though Lawpath was a SAAS platform-based business, it was not mentioned or referenced enough and it was a struggle to find the pricing page.
After listing out all the issues, I started working on a brand guideline. I focused on developing a strong brand guideline that can assist over 50% of the problems listed above and help future brand growth. The new brand guideline includes clear-space rules for a new logo, primary and secondary colour scheme with colour hierarchy rules, typography rules, web button and hyperlink rules and a new set of illustrations including icons.
After the interview, the solution was simple. What Zift lacked was cleaner UI and better UX for its platform. In terms of its functionalities, it was quite extensive. After clients have overcome the learning curve, they had no issues running their campaigns. And if Zift’s code based site builder integrated with Elastic Grid’s Blueprint Editor, users could gain an accessible landing page builder that does not require any coding skills. Furthermore, because Zift Marcom already had an extensive client migration system which resolved one of Relayware’s most significant issues. Therefore, I concluded that this project was almost like a reskin project on a bigger scale. All three of the platforms (Zift, Blueprint Editor, PRMS) were already live and running; it was just a matter of combining them seamlessly.
Based on the new brand guideline, I developed a new set of icons and brand illustrations. Brand illustrations are a stylish way of expressing brand messages as well as the product itself. These help users understand how to use the product and shape a character to the branding, making the brand unique. I started two types of icon library, coloured icons and line icons. Line icons are an essential communication tool for any website or platforms. While coloured icons are also a communication tool, they also add vibrance and fun to often tedious informational pages, adding another character level to the brand.
After the soft launch, feedback from internal team and a small group of clients who signed up for beta release were very positive. Both the internal teams and test clients were able to use the platform straight away without an onboarding session which was a must for previous Zift systems. Previous employees of Relayware were also able to recognise and use the Partner Management side of the platform without any difficulties. They were even able to use the campaign launcher from Zift’s side because UI could show them how and where to click. ZiftONE project’s duration took just over 12 weeks; 8 weeks for design and 4 weeks for the build. The biggest challenge was the communication between the development team and me as they were in North Carolina in the US, and I was in Sydney, Australia. The time difference made it very difficult to answer their questions, and the dev team missed asset package (icons and other images) I sent through email. I often had to answer calls and attend meetings at 1-2 AM, and even then, stakeholders made decisions through discussions without communicating to Sydney office. Lack of communication and time difference made was a big obstacle for this project. Although it was challenging, ZiftONE successfully made a soft launch in February 2019. I learned the importance of communication and sharing correct work processes when working remotely from this project.
The new site went live in July 2019. After the launch, the number of total visitors increased by 30%, and the total number of user sign-ups also increased by 30% in the first month. User feedback from both intercom and call has risen significantly. Because both numbers and customer feedback were positive, I believe this project has successfully resolved issues intended to resolve.